The open data platform Socrata just released a new cloud mapping software called Mondara, designed for users with no GIS expertise, allowing them to build online maps from existing data Shapefile or KML files.
While Shapefiles or KML files are probably still pretty technical for most users, with Mondara any users can upload existing spreadsheets containing address information, and turn them into online maps.
Mondara provides an online interface for creating maps with existing data, as well as enabling users to add, managing and combine layers within the a map, providing a lot of detail about your location data.
Once you create a map you can easily export the map in multiple formats including KML, KMZ and Shapefile, as well as share anywhere with Youtube like embedding.
It’s an interesting new cloud mapping service priced at $499/month allowing you to create up to 100 online maps.
I’m curious to see how the mapping service works with the open data Socrata has helped cities like NYC, Chicago, Baltimore, Seattle, San Francisco, Austin and New Orleans publish online.
At first glance, Mondara looks like a slick tool for all of us non-mapping professionals help make sense of, and communicate the message available in this flood of big data we see coming out of our municipal governments.
There are lot of exciting new mapping startups popping up, and one of the coolest new companies is a CityGrid Publisher. UpNext Maps was started in 2007 by four high school friends who wanted to make better maps, and living in New York City and seeing a need for a better way to explore and discover their great city, and decided leverage their experience in the video game industry to create vibrant, immersive maps that better reflected the world we live in.
Using their mapping engine the team has created:
- UpNext Maps - Maps redefined. Fully searchable tappable, beautiful maps for the entire United States. Over 50 cities rendered in 3D with 23 enhanced 3D cities with full textures and roadways. Interactive 3D maps for exploring and discovering cities. Our maps are fast, seamless and smooth. UpNext HD Mpas takes mapping to the next level with rich visual detail and personalized options.
- UpNext 3D Cities - The most advanced real-time 3d map for mobile encourages you to explore your city like never before. UpNext 3d Cities offers tappable buildings, detailed venue information, reviews, fun personalization options, and up-to-date subway lines. All of this is achieved in a super-smooth, slick experience.
- Super Bowl SLV - The Official Guide – Experience the Super Bowl like never before! Together with the NFL, UpNext developed the official NFL Super Bowl XLV mobile guide for iOS and Android devices. The app featured a detailed 3-D map of Downtown Dallas and Cowboys Stadium including a fully rendered stadium interior.
The UpNext team has taken CityGrid Places data via our API and showed what is possible when you really want push forward the definition of what it means to explore the cities, businesses and places around you.
While Google Maps definitely revolutionized how we interact with the world online, UpNext Maps is a glimpse of what the future of mapping and interactive exploration of our cities will look like.
I’m adding another tool to the CityGrid Local, Mobile, Social Stack. This time its is the robust mapping platform GeoIQ.
GeoIQ provides a platform for uploading and download data, searching for data within maps and building, embedding, and theming maps or charts in your web sites and applications.
GeoIQ is the engine that powers the attractive looking and powerful GeoCommons mapping community.
- Upload data and register web feeds
- Manage, update, and delete datasets
- Download datasets
- Search for data and maps
- Create maps and style layers
- Embed maps and charts into websites
- Create, update and delete users
- Create groups and add or remove users
- Set access permissions for viewing, downloading, or editing resources
GeoIQ is definitely an essential addition to the local, mobile stack–I see it providing a utility you can use to deliver custom and robust mapping solutions for your mobile and web applications.