I’m spending the majority of my time lately getting to know all the CityGrid publishers, and understanding how they are building web and mobile applications using CityGrid Places, Reviews, Offers and Advertising APIs.
Today I want to showcase an innovative web development shop in Dallas, Texas called The Emerald Curtain Studio. Phillip Bryan of The Emerald Curtain Studio used the CityGrid Reviews API to write a WordPress plugin that embeds a merchants reviews into their WordPress driven websites.
An example of how The Emerald Curtain Studio implemented reviews for a merchant web site, is on the Zen Salon Centrum in Dallas, TX. The business owners maintained their own CitySearch / CityGrid merchant profiles and wanted their reviews to show up on their business websites.
“I was able to develop the plugin without much trouble, and have used it in three sites so far. The online documentation was very helpful and I was able to develop my tools easily.” says Bryan of The Emerald Curtain Studio.
When you think of using CityGrid Places API, you often think of building nationwide or city local directories, but the usage by The Emerld Curtain Studio demonstrates there is a lot more you can do to provide web development services to existing CityGrid and CitySearch merchants providing added value to your existing services, and making their sites possess much richer content.
Mobile-ready software component marketplace, Verious has another mobile component designed using CityGrid, this time it is a store locator component that allows you to drive foot traffic into retail locations with a product offer or local deal, that any mobile developer can use in their own apps.
This component is like a mini app with all of the functionality you would expect from a standalone location application. It is the quickest way to add a store locator functionality to your iPad app, without doing the development yourself.
The store locator component would be a perfect addition to applications for major retailers, hotel chains, regional retailers, or anyone with an app that is looking to drive people to a specific location.
This component handles all of the real-time calls, back-end content parsing, data presentation and caching necessary to bring the store locator functionality into a native mobile app. It is integrated with our CityGrid Places API, providing access to 15M local businesses and over 1M local advertisers in the US.
Component features include:
- Location Awareness that defaults to current location, but user can change location
- Branded Pins
- Coupon that can be saved to gallery
- Built-in Social Sharing
- Built-in Local Search
- This component also has comprehensive configuration options so you can change the look and feel to best match your application’s user interface.
The store locator component from Verious provides a quick, yet powerful way for developers to drive foot traffic to retail locations via your mobile app, using CityGrid places. Also a great showcase of a CityGrid publisher, and what is possible with our APIs. The component is one of thousands of modules, mobile developers can take advantage of on the Verious platform.
There are lot of exciting new mapping startups popping up, and one of the coolest new companies is a CityGrid Publisher. UpNext Maps was started in 2007 by four high school friends who wanted to make better maps, and living in New York City and seeing a need for a better way to explore and discover their great city, and decided leverage their experience in the video game industry to create vibrant, immersive maps that better reflected the world we live in.
Using their mapping engine the team has created:
- UpNext Maps - Maps redefined. Fully searchable tappable, beautiful maps for the entire United States. Over 50 cities rendered in 3D with 23 enhanced 3D cities with full textures and roadways. Interactive 3D maps for exploring and discovering cities. Our maps are fast, seamless and smooth. UpNext HD Mpas takes mapping to the next level with rich visual detail and personalized options.
- UpNext 3D Cities - The most advanced real-time 3d map for mobile encourages you to explore your city like never before. UpNext 3d Cities offers tappable buildings, detailed venue information, reviews, fun personalization options, and up-to-date subway lines. All of this is achieved in a super-smooth, slick experience.
- Super Bowl SLV - The Official Guide – Experience the Super Bowl like never before! Together with the NFL, UpNext developed the official NFL Super Bowl XLV mobile guide for iOS and Android devices. The app featured a detailed 3-D map of Downtown Dallas and Cowboys Stadium including a fully rendered stadium interior.
The UpNext team has taken CityGrid Places data via our API and showed what is possible when you really want push forward the definition of what it means to explore the cities, businesses and places around you.
While Google Maps definitely revolutionized how we interact with the world online, UpNext Maps is a glimpse of what the future of mapping and interactive exploration of our cities will look like.